Why study in New Zealand?
- New Zealand is one of the world’s best places to live and study.
- All the 8 Universities of New Zealand come under the top 3% of Universities in the world.
- All qualifications are recognized and respected globally.
- New Zealand is ranked the 2nd most peaceful nation in the world.
- New Zealand offers an unbeatable lifestyle.
- Teaching style offers practical and hands-on training.
- New Zealanders are welcoming, friendly and respectful of other cultures.
- You can improve your workplace relevant English language skills.
- You may be able to support your studies with paid work.
- A Ph.D. student shall pay the same fees as New Zealanders and are able to work full time while studying.
- You will have the opportunity for personal growth and development.
New Zealand Education System
New Zealand has eight state-funded universities, 16 Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (ITPs) and about 550 Private Training Establishments (PTEs), which include English language schools.
Choose the type of institution that’s best for your career path:
- Universities offer higher degree-level education. Programmes are research-led and generally academic rather than vocational. In the 2015/16 QS World University Rankings, all eight of New Zealand’s universities were in the top 100 in at least one subject.
- ITPs and a few larger PTEs offer vocational degree-level education.
- PTEs tend to offer specific vocational programmes, mainly at certificate and diploma level.
Types of Course
New Zealand offers courses in the following areas:
- Vocational and Applied
- Short Course
Level of education in New Zealand
According to New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA), level of education is categorized from 1 to 10. The following information has been extracted from NZQA framework and provided.
Certificates are levels 1 to 4
Diplomas are levels 5 and 6
Bachelor’s degree, graduate diploma, and certificates are level 7
Postgraduate diplomas and certificates and Bachelor’s degrees with honors are level 8
Masters degrees are level 9
Doctoral degrees are level 10
Offer letter required documents
- Academic documents with aggregate over 50% marks
- Sufficient IELTS/TOEFL Score to as per the course requirement
- A valid MRP Passport
- Work Experience (If any)
- University/College Application form
- An updated CV
- Statement of Purpose
Offer letter processing time is generally 1-2 weeks.
Immigration Rules and regulation
Immigration New Zealand, under the Ministry of MBIE Business Innovation and Employment New Zealand, is an authorized government body which sets rules and regulation for immigration matters for international students. Visas are issued by INZ staff in offices throughout New Zealand and around the world (Ref: www.mbie.govt.nz). INZ has over 25 offshore visa application centers throughout the world. Nepalese national has to submit their visa application documents to New Zealand High Commission Mumbai branch, India. Applicant’s physical attendance is not required while processing the visa application of New Zealand. Offshore visa applications, i.e. applications submitted outside New Zealand territory, cannot submit documents directly to New Zealand embassy; thus applicants have to submit it via ‘New Zealand Visa Application Centre’ which is called TT Services.
Forms of Visa application submission
- Paper Application
Paper application requires applicant to fill a 16 page application form, and submit it to TT Services Mumbai Office along with passport, and other support documents. Paper application processing timeframe is 25 working days as per INZ website.
- Online Visa application
For Online visa applications, applicant himself/herself or agents/consultancies can apply the visa of students using INZ’s online ‘Apply on Behalf’ Service. For this purpose, New Zealand counselor of a certain consultancy has to open aReal Me account from New Zealand Post Office. There are a lot of benefits of submitting online applications. First of all, processing timeframe for online application is just 20 working days, thus saves time for students. Further, applications can be tracked online easily, and more importantly, we only submit passport and application submission confirmation page to INZ. Moreover, eVisa is granted for successful applicants making easy access to verification for authorities.
Conditions attached with Visa
- Continuous Study of Specified at Specified Education Provider in New Zealand. New Zealand visa has the name of the course and education provider mentioned in it. Hence, the student cannot change course or provider without applying for a new visa.
- Work right is limited to 20 hours per hour during the study period and full time during summer vacation and schedule vacation. Excess work of 20 hours per week is illegal and students can be prosecuted and sometimes liable for deportation in the worse case.
- A student has to inform INZ about the change of circumstance after the visa such as a single student getting married, personal issues etc.
- Students should refrain themselves from getting involved in criminal activities.
- Prerequisite for Student Visa
- Completion of 10+2 is mandatory for Nepalese students wishing to study in New Zealand.
Aggregate academic performance of over 50% is required. However, in rare cases, less than 50% can be accepted if the student has other areas strong such as excellent IELTS, relevant work experience etc. Academic has to be
relevant to the proposed study in New Zealand.
English Language Proficiency
It can be in form of IELTS/TOEFL/PTE. No less than 5.5 overall score is permissible depending upon institute to institute. Universities require above 6 overall scores in IELTS.
- Financial requirement consists of the following areas:
- Education Loan
- Education loan should be from Nabil or Nepal SBI bank. Education loan is optional because it can be used to cover the shortfall in the bank balance. If the sponsor has sufficient bank balance, education loan is not required.
- Bank Statement/Bank Balance
- 6 months matured bank balance is required at Nabil or Nepal SBI bank. INZ accepts transferring the fund to Nabil/SBI from Nepalese commercial bank, development bank, and finance company. However, cooperatives are not accepted.
- Income Source
- Sufficient minimum verifiable income source of 10-12 lakh per annum is required. Income can be shown from a variety of sources such as salary income, business income, house rent, land lease, agricultural income etc.
Only close members of the family can sponsor students that include grandparents, parents, siblings, spouse, and in-laws. However, for the purpose of showing income uncle, aunt, cousin, brothers/sisters are accepted.
- Tax Clearance
- Tax Clearance from VDC/Municipality is required.
- Property Valuation
- Property valuation of 1 crore is required while submitting the visa application documents to INZ.This is however, optional.